Have you heard anyone ordering Michael Jackson in Singapore especially at hawker centres and coffee shops? Foreigners may be confused with the creative name of the drink but Singaporeans are surely to know what it is all about. If your friends are visiting from overseas, do order them a ‘Michael Jackson’ to give them a splendid surprise.
One may wonder how did we, Singaporeans, came up with such a comical name for a drink that is made up of soymilk and grass jelly (cincau). Rather than referring to the King of Pop himself, this drink’s name actually derives from one of Michael Jackson’s most popular tracks, “Black or white”.
‘Michael Jackson’ is sold everywhere in Singapore but the best ones are always the one you can make at home. Why? Because you can make it according to your personal preference.
Check out the below recipe to make your very own ‘Michael Jackson’ at home. This drink is great for thirst quenching on a hot day!
Michael Jackson Recipe
Serves : 4 people
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
- 4 cups/1L sweetened soy milk, refrigerated
- 250g pack of grass jelly (cut into small cubes)
- Ice cubes to serve (optional)
- Divide and put the grass jelly into 4 tall glasses.
- Pour the soy milk over the grass jelly.
- Add ice cubes (optional) and serve.